Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sunday stills: Your best shot

NOTE: My blog's layout, which I need to change cuts off a good deal of the photo's. Please click each one for full view. All are under a creative commons license and NOT stock so that means no using them off of this blog.

Choosing just two photo's from 2009 is a very hard deal.

As I look through my photos I think, how do I choose just two!?

I have a hard time following the rules you know. I am such a rule breaker.

I would say my favorite picture of the year is from the challenge horses. Of course.

Misty, a friends horse. This picture was quite an accident as I never intended to hit the shutter button because I was tinkering with the white balance that was turning out more pinky or blue than white.
Every time someone sees this photo they exclaim after realizing it's a horses eye. It's abstract yet so simple at the same time. I find a sense of mystery and it seems to possess a dream like atmosphere.

Since I don't follow the rules (Bad Sydney, bad!) I will post a little about the portraits I have been doing.

When I got my Nikon I admit I had no desire to start taking pictures of people. I understand horses, animals, abstract and simple things a lot more than I ever will people. Through the cameras lens I found the faces that I thought about, but could never seem to describe in words. The camera does the talking here.

My youngest nephew, Noah. He is so dramatic about everything. Here he had climbed up to the top of the round pen and started roaring at me. I put this picture, which was my favorite, along with many others of him and his twin brothers in a gorgeous frame for my sisters birthday in 09. This challenge was Happiness. I really enjoyed that Sunday stills as it seemed to have brought me out of my people shy photography. Now I can't get enough of my family and friends trying to find that moment that best expresses them.

Like Sarah and Rikki from the challenge petsSarah truely loves all animals and goes out of her way to give them the best of care and life. Her ferret here named Rikki (AKA: Hood woosle) is such a ham. She runs around making funny noises and gets spontaneous bursts of hyper as she attacks my socks, every time I see her without fail. I wouldn't feel bad letting Sarah take in any animal I had. I know they would recieve the best of care.

Although I now enjoy taking pictures of people I think I will always take the best photo's when theres an animal subject. Like in the challenge The letter C
I had a whole group of completely feral barn cats eating out of my hands within 10 minutes as I snapped pictures.

They say a person will have two great loves in their life. I know my first love has always been, and will always be horses. I seem to include them in 95% of my sunday stills posts like Indigo here in the challenge fences

How the heck was I supposed to choose two? I have about 20 others still I wanted to include but I already broke the rules a few times too many with all these pictures.
So it's safe to say my favorite past Sunday still's challenges all involved animals or portraits. Thats two right?

18 comments:

Fantastyk Voyager said...

I am so glad you posted more than two. I really like them all.

Anonymous said...

haha check out the cheeky ferret! :D love it

Jen said...

I finally got a new camera for Christmas, and although I have been pointing it at virtually everything (can't seem to help myself :o) I have to say that the horses are still and will probably always be my favorite subject. Your photographs are wonderful!

Ed said...

Very nice but the first one is superb!! :-)

lisa said...

I couldn't go with just two either! cool shots, the first is fantastic.

Tammy Vasa said...

Yep, hard to find just two! Great choices!

Jayke said...

Those are all gorgeous!

Lori Skoog said...

My favorite shot is the first! Wow.

Unknown said...

Thank you for all your comments. I enjoy seeing everyones photography it's great.

Holly said...

I think my 2 favs are the first one and the one with the rat.

Shirley said...

Of course, I love the horses eye, but the shot of Noah is terrific! Such a boy!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I can't choose my favorite of your photos! No wonder you couldn't either! lol!

That first one is gorgeous. And your nephew photo cracks me up! What a fun photo!


And Sarah's photo is cute because at first you just see her great smile and then the ferret pops out at you. hehe!

And the feral barn cat has perfect composition.
And I love how you managed to squeeze Indigo into that great fence shot, too. Great angle!

You did good! I like how you break the rules.


~Lisa

Brenda said...

I broke the rules, too, and had to post more than 2! Love the horse's eye - yes, I see the dreamy look of the eye - movie quality - what you would see in a close up!

Grey Horse Matters said...

I like them all but the first one is my favorite. For some reason i love pictures like that with the eye.

Desert Rose said...

All of them are terrific...I remember seeing most of them as you posted them!!!

Regular Guy said...

The light with the cat is very dramatic. Nice pictures all the way around.

gtyyup said...

The mistake horse's eye photo is absolutely wonderful!! Definitely my fav...but they all have really good qualities.

Andrea said...

I really like all of those!! The cat one is super cool!! Really great shots!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin